Shivers Family Legends - © Shivers Family Legends Website   ©
A Family History of Religious Migration
Archives
Shivers Family Legends - ©



Historic Monkstown painting. ca. 1500
Henry Chevers - Castle and all land in and around Dublin 1640


PHOTOS
Henry Chevers Monkstown Ireland Castle - 1
Henry Chevers Monkstown Ireland Castle - 2
Documented as the Abbey of St Mary's
Chevers Flag of the Catholic Confederates


A church was built at Carrickbrennan (as Monkstown was then 
known) before the 8th century, and dedicated to Saint Mochonna, 
bishop of Inispatrick or Holmpatrick by Skerries. The grange of 
Carrickbrennan, otherwise Monkstown, was granted by the King to 
the Cistercian monks of Saint Mary's Abbey, Dublin, in 1200. 
The monks built their grange near to the church, and the village 
grew up around it. The lands of which it was a part extended as 
far south as Bulloch harbour on the outskirts of Dalkey, where 
the monks constructed a fishing harbour protected by a castle.[1]

In 1539, King Henry VIII awarded the Monkstown lands to Sir John Travers, 
Master of the Ordnance in Ireland. John Travers lived in his Castle at 
Monkstown from 1557 to his death in 1562 (he is buried in the 
Carrickbrennan Graveyard) when the property fell to James Eustace 
3rd Viscount Baltinglass through his marriage to Mary Travers. 
In 1580, the Castle was used as a rebellion stronghold, after which 
it was awarded to Sir Henry Wallop, Vice-Treasurer of Ireland. 
The lands were later returned to Mary, the widowed Lady Baltinglass, 
who later married Gerald Alymer. On her death in 1610 the Castle 
was transferred to the Chevers family through the marriage of 
Mary Travers's sister Catherine to John Chevers, and the property 
passed directly to his second son Henry Chevers, who married Catherine, 
daughter of Sir Richard Fitzwilliam. Henry and Catherine Chevers 
lived here with their four children (Walter, Thomas, Patrick, 
Margaret).[citation needed]

Upon the death of Henry in 1640, the castle and lands were passed 
to Walter Cheevers. Walter and family received command to vacate 
Monkstown in 1653 by the Cromwellian Commissioners, and transplanted 
to Killyan, County Galway. In 1660, Walter Chevers was restored to 
his estate at Monkstown Castle, until his death in 1678. His 
death occurred on the 20th day of December 1678, and he was buried 
at Mountoun (Monkstown), two days later on 22nd.[2] The Shivers 
family of America trace their lineage to Thomas Chevers brother of 
Walter Chevers of Monkstown, through the Cromwellian warrant, authorized 
on 26 November 1653 for Captain John Whittey to transport the 
Thomas Chevers family to America.

Monkstown was later purchased by the Archbishop of Armagh, Michael Boyle, 
and his son Murrough Boyle, 1st Viscount Blesington enlarged the castle, 
making it one of the finest residences.[citation needed]

Until about 1800, Monkstown was a rural area of open countryside, dotted 
here and there with large houses owned by the merchants of Dublin. The 
Monkstown Church (Church of Ireland) had been built . but was smaller 
than the present church.

The two small local rivers met in the area now called Pakenham Road. The 
river known as Micky Briens originated in Sallynoggin. A lake beside 
Monkstown Castle had one small island. The coastline was ragged and rocky, 
with a harbour stretching over 100 yards inland at the mouth of the 
aforementioned rivers, adjacent to the area now occupied by the West Pier. 
Dúoghaire (then called Dunleary, and later Kingstown) was then a small g
roup of houses in the area of the Purty Kitchen, and the present area of 
Dúoghaire was an area of rocky outcrops and later, quarries.

Wednesday, 18 November 1807 a night of disasters in southern Dublin. In 
an horrific storm, two sailing ships, the Rochdale and the Prince of Wales 
were blown on to the rocks, one at Seapoint and the other at Blackrock. 
About 400 lives in total were lost on that night, many of them washed up on 
the shore at Monkstown. The disaster was one of the factors which led to 
the building of Dúoghaire Harbour. Most of the victims were buried in C
arrickbrennan Churchyard.

The building of Dúoghaire harbour gave an impetus to the area, and Montpelier T
errace was the first of many terraces built in the area. The coming of the 
railway in 1837 had a much greater impact. Firstly, it changed the topology 
of the coast, and secondly, it led to Monkstown becoming a commuter suburb 
of the city of Dublin. Most of the houses along Monkstown Road and the avenues 
north of that road were constructed over the next 30 years. The maps of 1870 
show this phase completed, but the rest of Monkstown consists of mansions 
surrounded by extensive gardens.


Salthill and Monkstown railway station originally built by the Dublin and 
Kingstown Railway. For the following 50 years there was little change. The 
post-war developments of Castle Park, Richmond, Windsor, etc. and the more 
recent developments of Brook Court, Monkstown Valley, and Carrickbrennan Lawn 
mean that there is little opportunity for further development.

The diaries of the Rev John Thomas Hynes (1799.1868), a Catholic bishop who 
retired to Monkstown in 1861-68, provide a valuable insight into daily life 
in Monkstown in that period. Hynes lived at Bloomwood, Monkstown Avenue (later 
renamed as Carrickbrennan Road), and later moved to Uplands, The Hill, Monkstown. 
The Hynes Diaries recount such details as the coming of gas lighting, the postal 
and travel facilities, church affairs, and lots of local gossip. The Hynes 
diaries are now preserved in Melbourne, but the full text has been made available 
online.

Documentary references
Monkstown is first mentioned in 1450; 
Tenants Cistercians at Carrickbrennan, Villa Monachorum.

Carrickbrennan, or "Carigbrenna", features on the 1598 map 
"A Modern Depiction of Ireland, One of the British Isles"[4] by Abraham Ortelius.

Records of the Abbey of the Blessed Virgin Mary 1640.

Forfeiting Proprietors under the Cromwellian Settlement 1657.

In James Joyce's "The Dead," Gabriel Conroy and his wife Gretta live in Monkstown.

Noted buildings

Monkstown Castle, viewed from the east.

Monkstown Castle, viewed from the north.

Monkstown has two old established churches, Saint Mary's Church of Ireland (1831) 
and Saint Patrick's Catholic Church (1866), both on Carrickbrennan Road. Saint 
John's Church, located at Gamble's Hill, was originally constructed as a Church 
of Ireland Church in the 1860s but was renovated and re-consecrated by the Society 
of Saint Pius X after 1985. Buildings of other religious denominations include the 
Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses at Monkstown Farm, and the Meeting Hall of 
the Society of Friends at the junction of Packenham Road and Carrickbrennan Road. 
There is also the Friends Burial Ground (Quaker) located at Temple Hill just off 
Monkstown Road.

Monkstown Castle, which was probably built in the 12th or 13th centuries, was erected 
by the monks of the abbey of the Virgin Mary, near Dublin.

Monkstown is also noted for its beautiful coastline, which displays many historical 
buildings of the Victorian, Georgian and Edwardian periods. One of the most notable 
buildings of the Salthill and Monkstown area is a Martello Tower, located at 
Seapoint beach.

Walk through Ireland - Monkstown

Dublin Click to Migrate to America Virginia


Historic Monkstown Ireland. The Chevers Family Castle. 
This was one of the sites of the massacre by Lord Oliver Cromwell 
and his rouge band of murderers which originally was held by the 
Chevers. Henry Chevers estate consisted of the Castle and all the 
lands comprising Dublin Ireland. 47 townships comprising of around 
73 Castles were awarded the family as keepers of the Abbey of St 
Mary's. Scattered across the countryside of Ireland were the 
various Cadet leaders of the family and they maintained originally 
the Franciscan Monks of St Mary's Abbey". Thomas Chevers who was 
born in this Castle and escaped the massacre to start a new life 
in America. Early American records show the first Catholic-Episcopal 
Bishop was John Cheverus in 1810.  


Carrickbrennan Graveyard and Church (Monkstown) - 17th century ruined church built on early Christian site. Graveyard has many interesting graves and monuments. Said to be haunted by the Widow Gambol, who reputedly betrayed local priests for reward, and was subsequently lynched.


More Ireland ->Killyan Manor




L to R
Tom Montgomery
Michael Forde (from Killyan and lives 5 minutes from Monkstown Castle)
Max Chevers
Nathan Miller.


Data Found out about Bullock Castle 1/2 mile from 
Monkstown Castle.


The South Shore of the Bay - Kingstown, Monkstown, Dalkey, Killiney

The southern margin of Dublin Bay has been more built over than the
northern. In the latter direction the suburbs cease definitely at 
Clontarf three miles out, in the former they extend along the whole 
nine miles, that lie between Nelson's Pillar and Dalkey. Yet the 
beauty of the coastline is not spoilt, but rather enhanced, by the 
expansion of the city. The houses are not crowded, there is ample 
room for garden, shrubbery, park and pleasure-ground. Ever and anon 
the foliage parts or the villas stand away for a moment so as to 
give glimpses of the sea below, in summer a broad expanse of blue, 
flecked with white sails, and placid as an inland lake. 

As before, the top of the tram, that running to Dalkey, provides the 
best point of view. The town portion of the journey has mainly been 
described already. However there is an ancient pear tree at a house 
in Merrion Square North, which deserves some notice both for its 
great age and the success with which it has adapted itself to an 
unfavourable environment.

After passing the Botanic Gardens of Trinity College and the 'famous 
Show Yard of the Royal Dublin Society at Ballsbridge, the tram comes 
out on the seashore at Merrion, a village which gave its name to the 
fashionable square. Next is Booterstown, another hybrid of two 
languages. The first part is a corruption of the Irish bothair,a 
road. The name means "the town of the road," the hamlet by the 
wayside, where cars pulled up in order to refresh man and beast. 
It is the usual halfway-house for those going to Kingstown, or 
Dalkey.

Beyond Booterstown is Blackrock, which has lately risen into a 
fair-sized town. An ancient granite cross in the main street 
marks the old bounds of the jurisdiction of Dublin. At this spot, 
during the riding of the franchises, the mayor flung a dart into 
the water as a symbol of his right of admiralty. Thence the civic 
cavalcade rode off across country towards Donnybrook, where they 
went through further ceremonies. The mayors were inclined to 
neglect this triennial perambulation of the suburbs, but were kept 
to their duty by the murmuring of the commons. In the absence of 
documentary evidence, such as is now provided by maps and surveys, 
the rights of the city could only be asserted in this manner 
against the encroachments of neighbouring proprietors. The 
"franchises" were last "ridden" in the eighteenth century.

On the right hand, before entering Blackrock, is Frascati, 
sometime the residence of Lord Edward and Pamela Fitzgerald. They 
were both much happier here than amid the gloomy mausoleum-like 
splendours of Leinster House. Pamela was a pretty and fascinating 
little person, very much in love with her husband. After several 
years of married life, when Lord Edward was flitting from house to 
house and town to town in pursuit of his schemes, she wrote him 
delightful letters, in which lively prattle of domestic happenings 
alternates with expressions of her loneliness and anxiety. The 
correspondence is pathetic in view of what the future had in store 
for both of them, for the high-spirited husband a prison and a 
violent death, for the vivacious wife poverty and shame. The dark 
rock formation, which gives the suburb its name, is visible from 
the shore.

Monkstown succeeds to Blackrock. Here is a church of singular, not 
to say grotesque, architecture, adorned with curious little 
pinnacles, the rounded curves of which recall the familiar pawn at 
chess. About half a mile off the tramline to the right is Monkstown 
Castle, a picturesque and typical old Irish stronghold. Like 
Bullock Castle (pictured) further down the coast, it was built by 
the monks of St. Mary's Abbey to guard their estates in South County 
Dublin. In the old cemetery are buried the victims of perhaps the
most disastrous wreck recorded in the annals of the bay.

The cross-channel packet Prince of Wales sailing to Parkgate in 
Cheshire, and the transport Rochdale, carrying the 97th Foot, left 
Dublin all well,but, a terrible gale and snowstorm coming on, they 
failed to get clear of the harbour, lost their bearings completely, 
and, in the night, were driven on the rocks near Monkstown. Four 
hundred lives were lost, and an entire regiment disappeared for a 
time from the British Army List. In those days of dangerous sea 
travelling, the military forces of the crown were often destroyed 
in this way. In fact, one regiment, the King's Shropshire Light
Infantry, bears as its motto "Aucto Splendore Resurgam" in order to
commemorate its successful revival after such a misfortune.

After passing Monkstown and before reaching Kingstown proper, the 
little fishing cove of Dunleary may be seen. Formerly the whole town 
was known by the latter name, but assumed its present appellation on 
the visit of King George IV. Viewed from the sea Kingstown presents 
a pleasant aspect. There is a good deal of grassy slope to be seen, 
and the spires of a couple of churches supply just the necessary 
contrast to the long horizontal lines of the Town Hall and the other 
buildings of the front. The large artificial harbour here is formed 
by two great curving breakwaters, that stretch out into the bay like 
the fore claws of a lobster until they almost meet. The work was 
undertaken in order to save ships from the fate of the Rochdale and
the Prince of Wales. It was to be an "Asylum Harbour" or, as we 
should now say, a harbour of refuge. Since steam has diminished the 
dangers of a lee shore, the haven is not so much frequented by ships 
in distress.

Between Kingstown and Dalkey is another little cove, called Bullock,
probably from a rock of that name at its entrance. With two "Bulls" 
and a "Bullock," Dublin Bay is surely bovine enough. The tiny 
harbour here was once considered important enough to deserve 
protection. A good-sized and well-preserved castle, evidently 
constructed for that purpose, still overlooks the little inlet. 
It dates from the twelfth century.

The tram is now nearing the end of its journey, the remarkably 
romantic and picturesque village of Dalkey, perched over the sea 
on a rocky promontory, which divides the beautiful semicircle of 
Dublin Bay from the still more beautiful crescent of Killiney.

The place was originally a Danish settlement as the -ey of its 
termination shows. Then, for a long period, it acted as the 
outport of Dublin, since ships, to which the shallow Liffey was 
closed, might cast anchor in the deep sound between Dalkey Island 
and the main-land. The fortifications were very strong, as they 
had need to be, for, what with hill caterans on one side and 
pirates on the other, the little town was literally "between the 
devil and the deep sea." Two or three of the seven castles, which 
formerly guarded Dalkey, still remain, notably one in the main 
street, which is, somewhat incongruously, made to carry a large 
public clock. There are also the ruins of an ancient church, 
dedicated to St. Begnet. 

Off the coast is the little island of the same name as the 
township. It is associated with a freak of Dublin society in the 
past. A convivial party met here annually under the form of an 
independent monarchy and government. The president was hailed as 
"King of Dalkey, Emperor of the Muglins, Elector of Lambay and 
Ireland's Eye, Defender of his own Faith and Respecter of all 
Others," etc., etc. Fortunately for themselves the ministers of 
this little state were not bound to reside permanently within 
their dominions. The fun was harmless enough for a while, but 
eventually the club became tinged with the United Irish 
principles, and was accordingly suppressed by the government.

The Muglins referred to are a ridge of rocks to the north of 
the islet, where two notorious pirates were once hanged in chains 
for murder and robbery on the high seas. Our ancestors had a nice 
sense of the fitness of things. Marine criminals were exhibited 
at the entrances of harbours, just as highwaymen were left to swing 
at cross-roads. The ruffians whose remains were exposed on the 
Muglins had originally adorned the South Wall, but the citizens 
objected to their presence on a much-frequented promenade.

Their crime had been both daring and atrocious. Joining the crew 
of a treasure ship, they had, in mid-Atlantic, risen in arms, 
murdered the captain and the passengers, and made off in a boat 
with some 250 bags of dollars. Eventually they reached Waterford 
Harbour, where they buried most of their booty in the sand, until 
opportunity should offer for its removal.

However, they were soon arrested, put on trial in Dublin and 
executed at Stephen's Green. The Maiden Rock, the most easterly 
of the chain of islets beyond Dalkey Island, is believed to take 
its name from some hapless girls who perished there, having been 
cut off by the tide while seeking "dilisk," a kind of seaweed 
quite popular as an article of diet in Ireland.

About a mile beyond the town, at Sorrento Point, is perhaps the 
most famous view to be found in all Ireland, a scene which seems 
the dream of some great landscape painter, too lovely to be real. 
The spectator looking south-east from his lofty post has before 
him the long, gradual curve of Killiney Bay, the vivid green of 
the Irish countryside and the deep blue of the summer sea meeting 
and running side by side away into the remote distance, where the 
white specks, which are the houses of Bray, and the bold outlines 
of Bray Head terminate the picture. At a little distance inland 
are the mountains of Wicklow, ranged in a series of groups, so as 
to form a picturesque background. The conical peak of the 
Sugarloaf and the beautiful long sweep of the coastline recall 
Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples. Sorrento Point and Vico Road get 
their names from the foreign resorts, to which they have often 
been likened.

The road here becomes a cornice winding and undulating along the 
face of the gorse- and heather-clad bluffs, which overhang the sea. 
After a mile of up-and-down travelling, where the view at every 
turn is like a glimpse into fairyland, a gate is passed on the 
right, which gives access to Victoria Park, a half wild stretch 
of elevated woodland lately thrown open to the publice A winding 
path leads to the summit, which is cleared of trees and surmounted 
by an obelisk erected to provide employment for the poor in a 
season of distress.

The inscription records this act of benevolence in a Singularly 
quaint and laconic manner. "Last year being hard with the Poor, 
the Walls about these Hills and This, etc., erected by 
John Mapas, Esq., June 1742." This peak is the southernmost of the 
three hills, which might fitly serve as the armorial bearings of 
Dalkey, so strongly do they dominate the little town. The rugged 
slopes around are dotted with villas perched in seemingly 
inaccessible situations, while higher up an occasional castle, 
fort or signal tower lifts its sentinel form against the skyline. 

Here again there is a magnificent panorama, not limited in any 
direction. Killiney Bay appears to the south-east, as it did from 
the road at Sorrento. But here to the north-west is the great bay 
of Dublin, invisible before. Due north across that bay is the great 
rock mass of Howth, while to the southward and nearer than we have 
ever seen them before, are the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, an 
endless succession of lofty summits, some wrapped in a mantle of 
cloud, others with the "soft sunlight sleeping on their green 
uplands" and forming the "picture rare" celebrated by the poetess. 
Beyond that great range is the garden county of Ireland, where 
beauty is lavished on every side, legend-haunted Glendalough with 
its dark, lonely valley, its seven ancient churches and its two 
lakes, the verdant vale of Ovoca, "in whose bosom the bright waters 
meet," the tall waterfall of Powerscourt, the deep, wooded glen of 
the Dargle behind Bray.

To the eastward roll the broad waters of the Irish Sea, gleaming 
like silver when they catch the glint of sunlight. Far away to the 
westward stretches the green, level plain, which is Ireland with 
all its tragic history and its deep-seated, devastating hatreds and 
prejudices, always an enigma, often a reproach to the staid and 
practical Saxons, with whom her lot has been for centuries bound up. 
Many a brave, warm heart and generous hand are to be found between 
here and distant Galway Bay, yet prosperity and contentment are 
slow in coming to this lovely land and lovable race.